Will it stop raining now... please?!
Why do I get the sense we’ll have a really hot, sweltering July and August?
I find myself in the midst of project land, that surreal place where I have my blinders on as I work to get a project out the door. I’m always worried about meeting deadlines and doing a good job. I managed to get one of the projects set up and since Tuesday it has repaginated three times! I’m glad I set it up the right way or I’d be pulling my hair out about now. Once I get the setup part done, I’m usually pretty pleased with myself - if I didn’t have the other catalog backed up against this one, I would be a lot more relaxed now.
Instead, I find myself trying to clear the decks and steeling myself for the 64 pager I should have in my hands in the next day or two.
I was thinking about how much work has changed through the years. 7 or 8 years back, if somebody had come to me with something this size to turn around in a less than a week, I’d really be freaking out. Now, although it’s stressful, it’s doable, just a question of setting things up the right way.
Yesterday, I delivered a first draft to the client and followed up, putting some face time in at their office later in the day. I’ve been so busy, I realized on the drive there I hadn’t been out of the house really since Friday! Boy though, yesterday was a beauty!
I drove into the city, I had the windows rolled down and I didn’t turn on the radio (as I would normally do) just enjoying the drive and the weather. Really nice day out.
I’ve got to say though, I also realized it must have been about a month since I’ve been in the city as well. I don’t miss it. Back in my twenties, I lived in the city for a couple of years. One summer I took a trip with a then girlfriend up to the country and was amazed how relaxed I felt when I got back from it. I noticed the difference just walking around to go to dinner the evening we got back. The funny thing was before we left, I hadn’t realized how tense I was and how wound up I had gotten from the daily assault of city life on my senses. Yesterday was like that too. When I got back into the city, I was much more relaxed. I didn’t have that crazy “rush” feel that most people in the city wind up succumbing to. I like feeling relaxed that way.
No comments:
Post a Comment